Facebook 'blackmail': More victims come forward

BLAIR ENSOR
Last updated 12:32 21/02/2013
Nick Davis Facebook
FAKE NAME: A screenshot of the 20-year-old Upper Hutt man's false Facebook account, which he used to inappropriately contact teenage girls.

Relevant offers

The man accused of threatening to reveal naked photographs of a teenager if she didn't keep talking to him on Facebook might have sent inappropriate messages to hundreds of other young girls in Wellington.

Ten girls, aged under 16, have come forward to police with information after the 20-year-old Upper Hutt man set up three fake profiles on the social network under the alias Nick Davis.

He entered no plea to charges of threatening to disclose naked photos belonging to an 11-year-old girl to obtain a benefit, namely continued communication, and travelling with the intent to commit a crime when he appeared in Lower Hutt District Court on Tuesday.

Judge Ian Mill granted the man interim name suppression and ordered him not use the internet or to contact any of the complainants.

He was remanded on bail to appear in the court again next month.

Police launched Op Davis after the families of two girls aged under 13 complained about messages they had received from a man on the social media site. 

The man was arrested at work last week. Detective Sergeant Christiaan Barnard said this morning that police had now spoken with 10 teenage girls from the Wellington region who had come with information about the dodgy Facebook profiles which had been used for at least a month.

Some of them had received inappropriate messages, he said. Mr Barnard said police did not know the scope of the man's offending, but hundreds of young women were his 'friends' on the fake profiles, he said. It was too early to say if he would face additional charges. 

''His behaviour is concerning. Offenders who use Facebook profiles think they can hide behind anonymity of social network sites. However, it's relatively easy to unmask with the electronic trail they leave.''

Police had requested details from Facebook, but it could take months before they can access the profiles because they would have to liaise with agencies in the United States.

Anyone who has had contact with the Facebook profile Nick Davis is asked to contact Hutt Valley police (04) 5602600

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

What do you make of the proposed conference centre/hotel for Wellington?

Great - a big boost for the local economy

Nice - one of many projects needed

Argh - a white elephant in the making

First priority should be airport runway extension

Not sure at all

Vote Result

Related story: Convention centre to get OK

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content