Wilson declined bail after parole breach

BLAIR ENSOR AND CHRIS HYDE
Last updated 13:31 22/02/2013
Stewart Murray Wilson
KEVIN STENT/Fairfax NZ
Stewart Murray Wilson.

Relevant offers

Sexual predator Stewart Murray Wilson has been declined bail for allegedly breaching his strict parole conditions.

Wilson was recalled to prison by the Parole Board yesterday after he allegedly phoned a woman he had already been warned not to contact.

On August 29 last year, Wilson signed a non-association direction saying he would have no contact with this woman - Wilson allegedly attempted to contact her on February 18.

A source has confirmed to The Dominion Post that the woman was not a family member or one of his victims.

Wilson entered a not guilty plea at the Whanganui District Court this afternoon.

The name of the woman Wilson allegedly contacted remained suppressed.

Judge David Cameron remanded Wilson in custody until May 13 where he will face a defended hearing. A status hearing into Wilson's alleged breach will take place on May 2, and will likely be done by telephone or video conference. 

Wilson was jailed for 21 years in 1996 after being convicted of 22 sex charges against women and children between 1971 and 1994. He was freed on August 29 and has been living in a relocated home near Whanganui Prison.

Wilson was back behind bars at Whanganui Prison last night after the Corrections Department successfully applied to the Parole Board for an interim recall.

A third party had alerted Corrections to the phone call.

Corrections' application was upheld by the board yesterday. The board will consider a final order, which would keep Wilson behind bars, at a hearing before the end of March.

Lawyer Andrew McKenzie said last night he was surprised to hear his client was back behind bars.

"I don't think they'll win the recall. They [Corrections] have to prove some level of risk. If it was just contacting someone [on the phone], it's difficult to see where any element of risk would come from. He's in Whanganui Prison - he can't go and meet her, and she can't go and meet him.

"I just think this is Corrections talking tough and acting tough."

Corrections assistant general manager Maria McDonald said last night that the department would "pursue legal action relating to this alleged breach through the courts".

"Corrections has been vigilantly monitoring this offender's compliance with his parole conditions and immediately made the application after it received information that led it to believe he had breached his parole conditions."

Ad Feedback

One of his victims, who has name suppression, was happy last night to hear her ex-partner was back in jail.

"He should never have been let out in the first place. He's getting his just deserts."

Contact Blair Ensor
Police reporter
Email: blair.ensor@dompost.co.nz
Twitter: @blairensor

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Are more speed cameras good for Wellington's roads?

Yes - if people go slower, they'll drive safer.

Only if they set them up in problem areas, not speed traps.

No - they're a revenue gaining tool only.

Blowed if I know.

Vote Result

Related story: 200 sites for hi-tech speed cameras

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content