Two teenagers were lucky not to have been killed when the roof of their Wainuiomata home collapsed in a fire.
"We are very fortunate we are not dealing with a double tragedy here," said Detective Sergeant Mike Sears.
The Thirlmere St house was destroyed in the fire at about 5pm on Friday.
Police and fire investigators say the fire about 5pm on Friday was was accidentally started outside - possibly by an unextinguished cigarette.
Mr Sears said the teenagers, aged 15 and 19, were inside the house when they noticed smoke and were alerted by a smoke alarm.
"They managed to run outside moments before the address was engulfed."
"It’s a stark reminder of the dangers of smoking and the risks associated with our dry summer," Mr Sears said.
- The Dominion Post
Was the weekend's rain welcome relief for your garden/farm?Related story: Yesterday's drizzle no drought breaker for Wellington, Hawke's Bay