Teens lucky to escape Wainuiomata fire

Last updated 16:11 10/03/2013

Relevant offers

Two teenagers were lucky not to have been killed when the roof of their Wainuiomata home collapsed in a fire.

"We are very fortunate we are not dealing with a double tragedy here," said Detective Sergeant Mike Sears.

The Thirlmere St house was destroyed in the fire at about 5pm on Friday.

Police and fire investigators say the fire about 5pm on Friday was was accidentally started outside - possibly by an unextinguished cigarette.

Mr Sears said the teenagers, aged 15 and 19, were inside the house when they noticed smoke and were alerted by a smoke alarm.

"They managed to run outside moments before the address was engulfed."

"It’s a stark reminder of the dangers of smoking and the risks associated with our dry summer," Mr Sears said.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

What is your boss' attitude when you want to watch early-morning Fifa World Cup?

He/she pulls up a chair, shouts breakfast.

Doesn't join, but is happy for us to watch and cheer.

Hard to tell, so we only glaces at TV.

Manager prowls around with whip in hand.

Absolute no ... some have received formal warnings.

Vote Result

Related story: Cut football supporters some slack

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content