Ferries cancelled ahead of storm

TOM HUNT
Last updated 20:56 20/06/2013

Relevant offers

Cook Strait ferries have been cancelled as wild weather is expected to hit the capital.

Ferries between the North and South islands have been cancelled due to the weather.

An Interislander spokeswoman said at this stage the 2.30pm sailing tomorrow would go ahead, but this would be weather dependant.

Has your ferry service been canceled? We would like to hear from you - call us on 0800 DOMPOST or email us at web@dompost.co.nz

The Bluebridge Ferry have cancelled four crossings: 8.45pm from Wellington, 2.15am from Picton, 8am from Wellington and 2pm from Picton.

Potentially-damaging gusts up to 130kmh were expected to arrive in Wellington about midnight tonight, along with a ‘‘good dose of rain’’, MetService forecaster Dan Corbett said.

‘‘You are going to wake up in the morning and it’s still going to be banging about.’’

The low was travelling up the South Island this morning.

Snow has already closed multiple roads in the South Island.

It would start to arrive in Wellington later today, increasing towards midnight ‘‘like a freight train without a driver’’.

Similar conditions would hit Wairarapa a little later.

Some minor snow was possible on the Rimutaka Hill Rd tomorrow.

WeaterWatch is predicting snow in Wellington will be above the city.

But the temperature tomorrow would drop enough to have flurries in the hills late tomorrow or early Saturday.

‘‘Latest data suggests it may be a degree or two too warm for snow to sea level - but we can't rule it out. Wellington is about as 50/50 as you get. But the risk for snow is deemed as high in the higher suburbs - but high doesn't always mean you will get a lot,’’ Mr Corbett said.

Air New Zealand said the wild weather that started yesterday in parts of the country had caused flight disruptions across its network.

Early morning flights from Invercargill to Wellington and Christchurch are cancelled, as are two morning flights between Dunedin and Wellington, and a  flight from Queenstown to Christchurch.

Gale-force winds forecast for around Cook Strait have raised concerns that the scheduled friendly game between the Crusaders and the Hurricanes in Levin tomorrow night may not go ahead.

The Crusaders are due to fly north tomorrow afternoon, but may not be able to leave Christchurch or land in Wellington.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

How excited are you about the 2014 Commonwealth Games?

It's gold, bring it on

It's okay, like a watered-down Olympics

Not really - but I'll be once NZ serve up some dramatics.

Old episodes of Friends are more exciting.

Vote Result

Related story: After the hype, time to let the Games begin

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content