Woman dies as bus and her car collide at intersection

16:00, Dec 30 2013

One person died in a collision between a bus and car in Beerescourt yesterday afternoon, and police are appealing for witnesses as they investigate the crash.

Emergency services were called to the four-way intersection of Te Rapa Rd, Victoria St, Ulster St, and Forest Lake Rd around 4.40pm. The 46-year-old female driver of the car died in the incident and a male passenger was taken to Waikato Hospital with moderate injuries, believed to be to his arm.

Nobody on the bus was injured, and the driver was interviewed by police.

Acting Waikato road policing manager Inspector Marcus Lynam said it was too early to confirm which vehicle was at fault.

"As we work to establish the circumstances of the crash, police would like to extend their sympathies to the family of the woman driving the car and wish the passenger a speedy recovery."

The crash, at an intersection controlled by traffic lights, is being investigated by the Serious Crash Unit and the Commercial Vehicle Investigation Unit.


"There were a number of vehicles in the lines of traffic as well as pedestrians and shoppers at the two nearby blocks of shops," said acting Detective Sergeant Tom Evans of the Hamilton CIB. "It is important investigators hear from anyone who saw what has occurred and we ask these people to come forward."

One man at the crash scene said the woman's car was a "complete write-off".

"I was there when they towed it away and let's just say it was a mess".

The man said he had spoken to others at the scene and it was suggested the bus had travelled through a red light and connected with the car.

"It seems the lady was coming out of Victoria St heading north and was hit by the bus. The bus was heading south on Te Rapa Rd and collected her. It [the bus] ended up about a kilometre down the road before it stopped."

Traffic diversions were still in place several hours after the crash as police investigators made road markings and photographed the intersection. The Northern Connector bus was parked on Ulster St with a police guard on duty.

The front right-hand side of the bus was extensively damaged, with the front windscreen also smashed.

At least seven police units attended the crash - plus specialist investigators - as well as two ambulances.

Fairfax Media