Firefighters battled a fire in a sleep-out in the Wellington suburb of Northland this afternoon.
Senior station officer Nick Pyatt said there was fire coming out the windows of the sleep-out when fire crews arrived at the Northland Rd property about 3.45pm.
It appeared to be the result of unattended cooking and the damage was extensive, he said.
One man was inside the sleep-out at the time, and was assisted out of the burning building by a neighbour.
Wellington Free Ambulance spokesman Mike Sunderland said the man had been treated for minor smoke inhalation on the scene but was not taken to hospital.
- The Dominion Post
Was the weekend's rain welcome relief for your garden/farm?Related story: Yesterday's drizzle no drought breaker for Wellington, Hawke's Bay