Firefighters douse sleep-out blaze

Last updated 16:53 31/12/2013
Northland fire
CAMERON BURNELL/ Fairfax NZ
HOT DAY'S WORK: Firefighters put out the fire at a Northland property.

Relevant offers

Firefighters battled a fire in a sleep-out in the Wellington suburb of Northland this afternoon.

Senior station officer Nick Pyatt said there was fire coming out the windows of the sleep-out when fire crews arrived at the Northland Rd property about 3.45pm.

It appeared to be the result of unattended cooking and the damage was extensive, he said.

One man was inside the sleep-out at the time, and was assisted out of the burning building by a neighbour.

Wellington Free Ambulance spokesman Mike Sunderland said the man had been treated for minor smoke inhalation on the scene but was not taken to hospital.

 

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

What effect will a potential ban on booze at Rugby Sevens 2015 have on you?

I'd no longer go ... what's the point?

I'd buy a ticket, with rugby the priority again.

Ban or no ban, I'm still going.

I'd rather watch 'Wheel of Fortune' on a 24/7 loop than 7s.

Vote Result

Related story: Booze ban hovers over sevens

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content