The past week of drab drizzle ushered in by the royals will be with us until at least Thursday as wet weather fronts form a queue over the capital.
The past week has been the wettest of the year, with enough rain - about 70mm - to nearly eclipse the April rainfall average for Wellington already.
"We sent mother nature an email saying that we had royal visitors coming, but she had the computer turned off and didn't get it - hence the rotten weather, which is almost like a typical English spring," MetService forecaster Dan Corbett said.
The soupy, humid conditions are the result of a subtropical low. Although the fug is lifting this weekend, there will be only a brief glimpse of blue sky later today and tomorrow as winds ramp up and a new set of showery rain bands settles in for the new working week.
"The weather maps look like a plate of spaghetti - it's just weather system after weather system," Corbett said.
The wet weather comes off the back of an unusually dry March and February - both months had about half the average rainfall. The last sustained deluge was around New Year, while the last week of rain in Wellington was in spring, when 61mm fell in four days in October.
"Next week probably won't be as foggy but there'll still be cloud at times with rain - especially late Tuesday and Wednesday."
The enduring dankness could well affect the royal couple's planned walking tour of the capital on Wednesday. The skies are unlikely to fine up before Thursday, and even then, Corbett said, fleeting respite from the dismal deluge could be followed by yet another "lump of wet weather".
Meanwhile, southerlies forecast to gust to 90kmh overnight have forced the postponement of the removal of a tower crane on a construction site in lower Taranaki St.
The section between Courtenay Place and Wakefield St was to have been reduced to one lane in each direction from 4am this morning so a 350-tonne mobile crane could remove the tower crane from the Elevate apartments site near the Wakefield St intersection.
The job has now been rescheduled for the weekend of April 26 and 27.
- The Dominion Post
Should Wellington have a new convention centre?Related story: $100m Hilton project back to drawing board