Young dad who died in crash was speeding

01:45, Feb 15 2012
Karaka crash
FATAL CRASH: Robin Sayster's car is taken from the Karaka Bay, Wellington, where he died after crashing on to rocks.

A young father who died after his car veered off Karaka Bay Rd and crashed onto the rocks below was travelling at speed, a coroner report shows.

Robin Dennis Sayster, 26, from Lower Hutt lost, control of his Toyota MR2 just after 7am on March 13 last year.

In his decision, Wellington coroner Ian Smith said Mr Sayster, who was married with a five year-old son, finished work at 6pm the night before he died and was due to start again the next morning at 8am.

It appeared Mr Sayster slept little that night as his wife, who he was estranged from, confirmed she received two text messages from her husband at about 2am, Mr Smith said.

A witness who was running on Karaka Bay Rd at the time of the crash heard Mr Sayster's car approaching at high speed from behind her.

"As the car passed her and drove around a bend it suddenly veered to the right towards the water, before crashing onto the rocks below. The car flipped over. The horn was sounding."

A police investigation found the car was in sound mechanical order and should have been able to negotiate the bend despite its estimated speed of 80kmh. The speed limit on the stretch of road is 40kmh.

Mr Sayster was found to have a blood-alcohol of 127mg. The legal limit is 80mg.

A post mortem examination found injuries to the head and thorax, both which would have been fatal.

Mr Smith said police believed Mr Sayster's tiredness, combined with alcohol, may have led to him temporarily falling asleep and veering off the road.

At the time of the fatal crash, local's told The Dominion Post it had been their worst fears realised.

Boy racers sped along the stretch of road after warming up their tyres by doing donuts near the Worser bay Surf Club, they said.

There were 19 crashes on the route between 2006 and 2010, with two of them serious.