Island Bay New World expansion on hold

03:49, Nov 19 2012
New World Island Bay
ON HOLD: New World Island Bay is earmarked for an expansion project.

The proposed expansion of Island Bay New World has been put on hold after Foodstuffs reviewed public submissions to its plans.

Foodstuffs had applied to council for permission to go ahead with an expansion project which would have meant the demolition of a neighbouring fish and chip shop to make way for more carparking.

Through the public submissions process last month, Island Bay residents said the expansion would destroy the character of their main street. There were no submissions in favour of the project.

Foodstuffs applied to use neighbouring land at 132 The Parade for extra carparking for a period not greater than two years, at which point it hoped to establish shopfronts and covered parking on the site.

Group communications director Antoinette Shallue said the current consent had been put on hold and the company would be in ongoing discussion with the council on the next step.

She said that after reviewing feedback from the public, Foodstuffs had ''amended our thoughts around advancing the stage two consent process. This is to ensure we provide a positive outcome for our customers, the Island Bay store and the local community.''

Advertisement

A council spokesman confirmed that the application had been suspended last week, following the submissions period.

There would be no time limits on Foodstuffs to restart the resource consent process if it decided to. Council would now wait to hear from Foodstuffs on the next step.

The application underwent public submissions last month, with 14 submissions filed in opposition. Residents disputed there was a shortage of parking and voiced concerns on losing the character of the street and on losing the fish and chip shop.

Contact Shabnam Dastgheib
Breaking news reporter
Email: shabnam.dastgheib@dompost.co.nz
Twitter: @shab_d

The Dominion Post