Hawke's Bay doctor accused of stupefying continues bid to keep name secret
A Hawke's Bay doctor charged with stupefying and indecently assaulting patients is going to the High Court in a bid to keep his name secret.
Police allege the male doctor, aged in his 40s, indecently assaulted and stupefied four male victims between January and September last year.
It is alleged some of the offending occurred in toilet cubicles, a treatment cubicle, and a darkened surgical room.
The doctor pleaded not guilty to all 13 charges he faces and was granted bail in November.
* Hawke's Bay doctor accused of stupefying, assaulting patients
* Doctor on indecency charges keeps name suppression
* Hawke's Bay doctor accused of stupefying and assaulting patients to be named
At a subsequent hearing in Napier District Court a fortnight ago, Judge Tony Adeane refused the man's application for continued name suppression, but gave him until Friday to file an appeal against that decision in the High Court.
The court confirmed an appeal had been filed and a hearing on the name suppression issue has been scheduled for March.
Crown lawyer Fiona Cleary told Judge Adeane a fortnight ago that keeping the man's name suppressed had the effect of casting suspicion on other doctors in Hawke's Bay.
But his lawyer, Harry Waalkens, QC, rejected that claim, saying there were 285 medical practitioners in Hastings and 71 in Napier.
"It would be the end to this man's career if he does not get this interim name suppression," and it would create "extreme consequences to him", Waalkens said.
The doctor was working under significant supervision by the Medical Council and his employer, Waalkens said.
He is required to have a chaperone in some circumstances.
- Dominion Post