One injured in Hastings school explosion

Last updated 14:21 20/11/2012

Relevant offers

Hawke's Bay

Farmers unite in war against invasive weed Temporary school buildings will spoil home and reduce value, say retired Napier couple Napier rates up 5pc as city spends more to ensure drinking water is safe Napier's homeless war memorial may find a home on Marine Parade Greenpeace's Russel Norman offered diversion after ship protest in sea Real estate agent fined $5000 for not revealing apartment block's 'serious defects' Coroner finds 'troubling' gap in Vulnerable Children legislation Four people with faulty hips continue legal action against ACC Beggars go to court arguing that begging is a 'fundamental freedom of expression' Lions tour: Fans fuming over $200 fine for overnight campervan stop in Napier

One person has been injured after a disposable gas canister exploded at a primary school in Hastings.

A Fire Service spokeswoman said a call for help was received from Mayfair School, Willowpark Road North about 12.30pm.

It is understood a 29-year-old woman has been hospitalised with burns to her forearm. She is in a stable condition and likely to be discharged from Hawke's Bay Hospital this afternoon.

Napier firefighter Bryan Dunphy said a small camping gas canister had exploded either because it was faulty, or because it had been connected to a camp cooker incorrectly.

"They were doing a camp cooking exercise with a meat pattie or a sausage and it exploded. A fire investigator will be looking into how it occurred," Mr Dunphy said.

The school's principal Tanya Bunny is expected to make comment later today.

The school posted on its website:  "A gas canister has exploded at school, no injuries to children thankfully as parents were the cooks, one parent has been taken to hospital to monitor a burn, we are grateful no other adults or children were hurt!"

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

How many coffees do you have a day?

5 or even more

3-4

2

1

Anything from 1-5.

Don't touch the stuff.

Vote Result

Related story: Coffee as we know it at risk of dying

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content