BREAKING NEWS
Double murderer Scott Watson a "very high risk of future re-offending" ... more soon
Close

One injured in Hastings school explosion

Last updated 14:21 20/11/2012

Relevant offers

Hawke's Bay

Napier businessman Rodney Green appeals against grope verdict Survivor tells of escaping crashed car moments before it burst into flames Flu on the rise: Hawke's Bay, Wairarapa and Bay of Plenty affected Divers at Pourerere may face big bill for needless rescue bid Snow, freezing temperatures to hit North Island this week Wellington marathon taken out by first-time winners Driver injured in Hawke's Bay car crash Boy airlifted to hospital from remote Hawke's Bay river Terrified wife thanks police for pulling over drunk husband Hastings man thought to have stabbed himself after appearing naked on street

One person has been injured after a disposable gas canister exploded at a primary school in Hastings.

A Fire Service spokeswoman said a call for help was received from Mayfair School, Willowpark Road North about 12.30pm.

It is understood a 29-year-old woman has been hospitalised with burns to her forearm. She is in a stable condition and likely to be discharged from Hawke's Bay Hospital this afternoon.

Napier firefighter Bryan Dunphy said a small camping gas canister had exploded either because it was faulty, or because it had been connected to a camp cooker incorrectly.

"They were doing a camp cooking exercise with a meat pattie or a sausage and it exploded. A fire investigator will be looking into how it occurred," Mr Dunphy said.

The school's principal Tanya Bunny is expected to make comment later today.

The school posted on its website:  "A gas canister has exploded at school, no injuries to children thankfully as parents were the cooks, one parent has been taken to hospital to monitor a burn, we are grateful no other adults or children were hurt!"

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

How many coffees do you have a day?

5 or even more

3-4

2

1

Anything from 1-5.

Don't touch the stuff.

Vote Result

Related story: Coffee as we know it at risk of dying

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content