Petone fire destroys house

Last updated 11:14 15/11/2012
Petone house
KENT BLECHYNDEN/Fairfax NZ
The Petone house that was gutted by fire this morning.

Relevant offers

Hutt Valley

Swimming ban as toxic algae levels grow in Hutt River Kitten left to bake in cat carer's mailbox Toxic algae found in Hutt River Upper Hutt rail station upgrade under way Filming for Pete's Dragon remake under way in Upper Hutt Call for more police patrols after Antonio Puhia, 19, dies near Foxton Kiwi hunter goes pro after Facebook page gains 79,000 followers Jousting tournament returns to Harcourt Park Upper Hutt gets state-of-the-art laboratory Petone's history attracts thousands

A mother and her son escaped a fire that destroyed their Petone house this morning.

The fire at the Bolton St house was reported to emergency services about 4.20am.

The fire was so intense that glass in the windows had smashed and melted, grass on the lawn was destroyed, and plastic guttering from a neighbouring house had melted off.

The entire house was gutted.

Senior Sergeant Steve Braybrook said the house was engulfed in flames when emergency services arrived.

The occupants, a mother and her adult son, were safely out of the house.

Residents did not want to discuss the fire but confirmed no-one was injured.

Fire service shift manager Murray Dunbar said the cause of the fire was under investigation.

Contact Tom Hunt
Breaking news reporter
Email: tom.hunt@dompost.co.nz
Twitter: @tomdom76

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

How many coffees do you have a day?

5 or even more

3-4

2

1

Anything from 1-5.

Don't touch the stuff.

Vote Result

Related story: Coffee as we know it at risk of dying

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content