Crash killer denied parole
A man convicted of manslaughter who became eligible for release from prison the day he was sentenced has been denied parole.
Jordan Lee Hyde was sentenced on October 4 to four years and eight months' jail for the manslaughter of 28 year-old Lower Hutt woman Stacey Reweti.
Hyde, who was speeding in a station wagon in February last year, was on a restricted licence, off his medication for schizophrenia, and had been drinking alcohol and smoking cannabis smashed head-on into Reweti's vehicle near Paekakariki, killing her instantly.
Because of medical issues and his mental-health problems, the case took longer than usual to conclude and he was remained in custody during this time.
After the sentencing, Reweti's family believed they could forget about Hyde but a week later received a letter from the Parole Board saying he was eligible for a hearing after serving a third of his sentence.
In a decision released today, board member Neville Trendle said a full parole assessment report had not been completed as Hyde's sentence commencement date was only six weeks ago.
He had been placed in the risk unit at the prison due to pancreatitis and his mental-health needs, but plans were under way to move him to a medium-high security unit so he could be integrated with other prisoners.
Hyde told the board his family wanted to see his attitude change and in particular wanted to see him asking for it himself.
Trendle declined parole as there was "no realistic proposal" put before the board.
Hyde's next hearing date will be in March.
The Dominion Post