The Fire Service evacuated buildings along a 2km stretch of Old Hutt Rd between Sar St and Placemakers north of Kaiwharawhara following reports of a strong smell of gas.
Reports of people smelling gas and feeling unwell began coming in to Fire Communications about 9.30 this morning.
Fire Service shift manager Belinda Beets said a number of crews had been sent to the area but they had not able to detect the source of the reported 'gas leak.'
"Buildings have been evacuated in the area," Ms Beets said.
The operation closed about midday when the source of the reported 'gas leak' had still not been found.
- © Fairfax NZ News
What are you doing in preparation for the big storm this weekend?Related story: Wellington in for severe weather