Fire damages Waikanae flat

02:02, Aug 22 2014
fire
A fire started in a Winara Ave flat just after 10am.

Fire fighters and an observant neighbour have saved a Waikanae house after a fire damaged two rooms this morning.

Waikanae Fire Brigade deputy chief Alan Tinney said a neighbour noticed smoke coming from the Winara Ave flat just after 10am and called emergency services.

''It was a fire in the back part of the house; the laundry had severe damage and part of the kitchen, and smoke damage to the rest of the house.''

The occupants were away from home when the alarm was raised, Tinney said.

''It took about 10 minutes to quarter of an hour to knock it down; we had four appliances there, from Otaki, Waikanae and Paraparaumu.''

The flat was a separate building on a shared property with a house at front, however the buildings were not close together, and the house was not immediately threatened by the fire, Tinney said.

Fire Service investigator Peter Fox said initial examinations suggested the fire probably started in an electrical outlet on the wall in the laundry.

Advertisement

Stuff