Ford V8 goes up in flames

KAY BLUNDELL
Last updated 13:55 19/02/2013
Burnt-out car
KAY BLUNDELL/Fairfax NZ

BURNT-OUT: The 1938 Ford V8 which caught fire as its elderly owner worked on it this morning.

Relevant offers

Kapiti

A farmers' just for the elderly Slaughtered sheep found at beach Rare Frances Hodgkins portrait found Council staff apologise to tree-felling couple Delays on Kapiti train line Kapiti assured bore water safe Hazard lines off housing project Cafe gets another year's road reprieve Apology as tree charges withdrawn Expressway means more traffic lights

An elderly Paraparaumu man's pride and joy, a 1938 Ford V8, went up in flames as he was working on it this morning.

The Michael St resident was renovating the old car when a spark from a grinder he was using next to the vehicle caught a piece of plastic over the rear window on fire, which spread quickly plastic covering on the seat inside.

Paraparaumu Kapiti fire station officer Steve Hudson said the vehicle was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at about 11.50am.

"It was a very fierce fire. He had started fighting it out himself with a hose. Paint on the garage had started melting. He was very lucky not to be seriously hurt," Mr Hudson said.

The elderly man was treated by ambulance paramedics for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within about 15 minutes. 

Mr Hudson believed the fire had pretty much written off the car.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Would you support your local council paying the 'living wage'?

Yes - it's moral and fair, no matter the costs.

Yes, but there should be a cap on the wage.

Only for the very lowest waged.

Not at all - survival of the fittest.

Don't know/Not sure.

Vote Result

Related story: Council's living wage blowout

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content