Just over a year since 20-year-old Sean Strongman-Lintern was stabbed to death in Paraparaumu, his killer has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
Tristim Lee Eastham pleaded guilty to the manslaughter charge in the High Court at Wellington this afternoon.
He had been scheduled to face a murder trial in October, before pleading to the reduced charge in front of Justice Ron Young today.
Eastham stabbed Mr Strongman-Lintern on September 15 last year, about 12.40am, during an altercation near the Retro Bar in Paraparaumu, on the Kapiti Coast.
Outside court today, the victim's father Daniel Lintern said he was ''disgusted'' his son's killer was allowed to plead to manslaughter.
''I'm just furious. My son was murdered. He was stabbed in the heart with a knife.''
Mr Lintern was in Perth, where he is based, when he received a message on Saturday afternoon with the news of the plea and raced back to Wellington to attend the decision.
He was not know yet sure if he would come back for the sentencing, because he wasn't able to agree with the judicial outcome.
He was ''100 per cent convinced'' Eastham had intentionally killed his son, he said.
Mr Strongman-Lintern's death came just a month after another fatal death near the same carpark, when 17-year-old Izak Millanta was beaten to death by Manawanui Stewart on August 11.
Stewart was sentenced in February to six years in prison.
Eastham will reappear in the high court next month for sentencing.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you intentionally buy organic food?Related story: Wellingtonians driving organic food mainstream