Car torched in driveway

Last updated 12:32 14/08/2012

Arson attack: Levin's Peggy-Anne Gamble with her car which was torched in her driveway.

Gutted: Mrs Gamble said the car had sentimental value, having belonged to her late husband.

Relevant offers

Horowhenua Mail

Paraparaumu pub robber escapes with safe and till takings Regional sevens, Hurricanes coming to Levin Call for council Youth Voices for 2016 Coastal Energy co-operative launches in Otaki Air New Zealand drops Christchurch to Kapiti flights Volunteer contributions to the community awarded Garage sale to pump up Wheels for Elias fund Residents want best possible mitigation at new quarry The Shed Project Kapiti takes Wellington Airport Regional Community Award Gliding club to fly away from Kapiti after half a century

When Levin retiree Peggy-Anne Gamble heard a loud bang late Thursday night last week she thought it was from burning wood in her fireplace.

But minutes later she heard shouts outside and went out to see her car in flames.

''I was watching the Olympics on television and all of a sudden I heard this loud bang, but being half-deaf I thought it was just the fireplace,'' she said.

''My daughter had woken up by shouts from our neighbours and we went out to see the car on fire and our neighbours trying to put it out using garden hoses.''

The Levin Volunteer Fire Brigade arrived minutes later and extinguished the fire.

The car was parked in her driveway, with the front right corner only a metre from her house, and Mrs Gamble said it was lucky the fire did not spread.

''Also, thankfully, the car didn't have much petrol in the tank otherwise it would have exploded.''

Mrs Gamble said it was a frightening sight and she had no idea why someone would set her car alight.

''You tell me and we'll both know. I can't understand why anyone would want to burn it.''

The 65-year-old former Maori Warden had lived in Solway St for 26 years and said this was the first trouble she has had.

''What happens if whoever did it decides to come back for some more fun?''

Mrs Gamble said the car, a 1990s Nissan Cefiro, was not flash, but it was a ''good car''.

The car was insured, but she was upset as it had belonged to her late husband and had sentimental value.

Mrs Gamble thanked her neighbours for alerting her, their efforts to put out the fire and supporting her afterwards.

Neighbour Aaron Rore said it was a scary experience.

''I just ran outside, in my undies, and grabbed a hose and did what I could to put it out,'' he said.

''You could hear the gas bubbling in the tank. It was quite freaky.''

Detective Peter Vine said police were investigating and had good leads.

Ad Feedback

- Horowhenua Mail


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content