Police blitz on drivers using cellphones

Last updated 16:11 26/11/2012

Relevant offers

Kapi-Mana News

Porirua's mountain biking mayor ready to lace up and tackle the rugby field Jet skier has world's elite racers in his sights On track for a tragedy: Increase of children dodging Wellington trains Pottery, poems and passion: Porirua exhibition a celebration of friendship Police investigating after 3-month-old ends up in intensive care Skills learned as women's unit spruced up Easter Monday traffic backs up north of Otaki Classic cars and bikes a labour of love for Porirua City councillor Dale Williams Top female lawyers volunteering to help mums serving time in Arohata Prison to connect with their children Paremata Plimmerton women's team the first in 20 years to take the field

Police will be stopping drivers who are using cellphones while driving during the last week in November.

The phone-use blitz will coincide with the anniversary of legislation banning mobile phones while driving and is aimed at reminding drivers of the risks of distraction.

National road policing manager Carey Griffiths said distraction can come in many forms and changing the CD, unrestrained pets, quarrelling children, items rolling round in the car, eating or putting on makeup are some of the common ones police encounter.

Although the legislation allows the use of hands-free mobile phones, Mr Griffiths recommended that drivers minimise the potential for distraction by switching their phones off while they are driving, or pulling over to make or receive calls.

"We are now several years down the track, we don't see any excuses for people still failing to comply with this legislation. We will be taking a very firm approach and police will be out nationwide doing their best to impress upon drivers how serious we are about this issue."

Police will also be checking that passengers are wearing seatbelts, he said.

Ad Feedback

- Kapiti Observer

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content