General Store fire started in kitchen

Last updated 10:40 05/02/2013
03-dpt-fire006WEB
DAIRY FIRE: The Pauatahanui General store was badly damaged by a deep fryer fire on Sunday.

Relevant offers

Kapi-Mana News

First came the quake, then the floods. What the farmer found after the skies cleared Welcome home: HNZ takes Porirua houses off the market to meet rising demand Porirua City Council spends $1.5 million on new emergency operations base Whitney Souness regaining fitness, ready for new netball national competition Traditional Melanesian female tattoos being revitalised and created by hand needling Fed-up resident says Porirua council doing a rubbish job when it comes to litter Nick Leggett: Why I've ditched Labour for National Average house prices in Porirua rise steeply, rates could follow Porirua ahead of the pack: city leading the way in desexed registered dogs Winners in the community: months of work pays off for Porirua parent graduates

The historic Pauatahanui General Store, built in 1861, has been badly damaged by fire.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in Paekakariki Hill Rd about 11.30am on Sunday.

Porirua senior station officer Barry Murphy said the fire started in a deep frying vat in the back of the building.

It took firefighters about 40 minutes to bring the blaze under control and a further two hours before the fire was totally out.

"There's a bit of fire damage and the kitchen area is pretty well destroyed," Mr Murphy said.

The dairy owners were visibly upset and declined to comment.

Diane Boyack, owner of nearby Rural Trading Post, said she spotted the smoke and called the fire brigade.

She said the owners were in shock, but the community would help them through.

Ad Feedback

- Kapi-Mana News

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content