Heater sets bed alight

Last updated 18:01 17/08/2012

Relevant offers

Kapiti Observer

Horowhenua sides make their mark in club rugby Kapiti secondary schools brace for overcrowding Porirua author a believer in love New cafe Sunday Cantina to open in Waikanae Book repairer Bill Tito stopping in Kapiti Kapiti man brings horses back to health Fatal house fire in Foxton Build a wall: Resident boards up window against $630 million expressway noise It feels like home: treasuring the past an important part of life for Kapiti man Calls to re-circulate New Zealand Golf Open around the country

Homeowners are being urged to remember the one metre heater rule after a heater caused a house fire in Paraparaumu last week.

Firefighters were called to a Tutanekai St home just before 5am on Sunday morning last week after a heater set a bed alight.

Paraparaumu Fire Brigade station officer Gary Johnstone said the fire had been contained to one room.

''The owner had done a good job to close the door and contain the fire to one room, preventing it from spreading through the house.''

It took about five minutes to get the fire under control, with the firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

Mr Johnstone said it was a timely reminder for people to use the one metre heater rule, keeping heaters at least one metre away from other objects in a room.

''Otherwise you run the risk. This caught the bed, and the bed was completely destroyed. There is a bit of damage to the room and smoke damage to some of the house.''

He said the occupant of the house was lucky to be awake early on Sunday, having not been woken by any smoke alarms.

The fire coincided with an open home in Waikanae on Sunday, showing the effects of a house fire.

Ad Feedback

- Kapiti Observer

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Kapiti have international airport?

Yes, there's plenty of land there

No, it's too far for people to travel to

Maybe

Don't care

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content