Council takes over Mainzeal contract

JOEL MAXWELL
Last updated 12:03 14/02/2013
Opinion poll

Should Kapiti council also take over the Aquatic Centre project from Mainzeal?

Yes

No

Maybe

Vote Result

Relevant offers

Kapiti Observer

Kapiti woman not surprised by lack of censure Hundreds of state and council homes north of Wellington up for sale Kapiti Coast stormy seas devour much of family's tennis court and garden Faces of Innocents: The sad case of Nikita Hart Faces of Innocents: No signs of danger before O'Carroll murder-suicide Beervana: a one-stop shop for everything beery Council trucks sand to beach, as dune protection causes problems Paraparaumu School to start bilingual class, taught in English and te reo Maori The Waterfront's Ricardo Reis living the dream with rebranded Raumati premises Half-court basketball facility opened at Haruatai Park, Otaki

A half-million-dollar roadwork and car park contract has been taken over by Kapiti Coast District Council as the Mainzeal cleanup continues.

Work restarted yesterday on a new car park for the revamped council headquarters, and a safety realignment of Paraparaumu's Ngahina St.

Last year the project was incorporated in the Mainzeal aquatic centre contract, adding $527,000, including $50,000 contingency cash, to the deal.

Yesterday community services group manager Tamsin Evans said the council has issued a variation to Mainzeal and its receivers, removing the work from the contract. The council will directly manage the project.

She said less than 20 per cent of the car park and realignment contract was paid to Mainzeal, with the balance still in council coffers.

The rates for the work through subcontractor PCL would remain the same and the project will be completed to budget, she said.

PCL will need to seek unpaid money for the work to date from the receivers, she said.

Meanwhile major work had not restarted on the aquatic centre with council staff in discussions with receivers yesterday.

On Monday council chief executive Pat Dougherty said there is willingness on all sides to get the project finished.

"The receivers wanted an assurance from the council that we would pay for the work undertaken since February 6 and on that basis, they would enter into discussions directly with the subcontractors with the aim of getting them back on site.

"We gave them that assurance."

After discussions yesterday, Mr Dougherty said significant work is unlikely to restart this week given the complexity of the discussions, and the number of parties involved. Some work on the pool lining and moveable floor has continued through this week. "I'm hopeful we will see the rest of the subcontractors moving back on to the site once talks between PricewaterhouseCoopers and the subcontractors are completed."

Ad Feedback

- Kapiti Observer

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Kapiti have international airport?

Yes, there's plenty of land there

No, it's too far for people to travel to

Maybe

Don't care

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content