Youth rave to go ahead
Kapiti youth event Hell Rave Yard will go ahead on March 22, after being postponed due to safety concerns.
Organiser and DJ Cristian Fifield said the idea was to hold a positive event for youth, following the deaths of young Kapiti men Izak Millanta and Sean Strongman-Lintern last year.
Originally planned for 13- to 18-year-olds to go head in November, it was deemed too soon after the deaths and ''the kids didn't feel safe'', Fifield said.
Mr Fified has since arranged extra security guards.
''It's just good to get everybody out there and get them off the street on a Friday night and let them have some fun. Like the adults do [but] without the alcohol, drugs and the influence of sex and everything out there.''
Up to 10 security guards will be on duty during the rave, and Fifield insists parents pick their children up at midnight.
A former Paraparaumu College student, Fifield is based in Whanganui, where he runs about 20 youth events each year, he said. He has performed with international acts including Calvin Harris, Basshunter and Cascada.
- March 22, 8.30pm till midnight, Paraparaumu Memorial Hall, ages 13-18. Tickets $10 from Paraparaumu College, Kapiti College and Hell Pizza Kapiti.