Oriental Parade had humble beginnings for a street that now houses the rich and famous.
Long before Kaffee Eis, Freyberg Pool and even the Band Rotunda, Oriental Parade had only one resident, George Duppa.
He arrived in 1840 on the New Zealand Company vessel the Oriental.
Duppa lived on his lonesome in "Castle Doleful", below what is now the St Gerard's Monastery.
For a time, the area was, not surprisingly, named after Duppa but he later renamed the parade after the ship that had carried him there.
Surprisingly, though Oriental Pde is now a desirable stretch of land, settlers were slow to move there.
Perhaps the lack of interest was because of the pungent smell of boiling whale blubber that emanated from the whalers' trypots.
Settlers trickled in and development of the area's landmarks followed.
Te Aro Baths, next to what is now Freyberg Pool, was built in the early 1900s, the Band Rotunda popped up in 1918; the Carter Fountain was installed in 1973; and the swimming rafts off Oriental Bay were installed in 1985.
But for all its beachy glamour and postcard-perfect scenery, Oriental Pde has had an up- and-down history.
In 1855, a severe earthquake dramatically changed the shoreline. There have been fires, beach races, cafes that appeared and disappeared.
In 2010, a resident was bashed to death with a hammer by members of the Killer Clown Fiends gang after an argument over money. The resident's house was subsequently demolished.
Oriental Pde has now well and truly left its humble beginnings behind and locals describe it as Wellington's Riviera.
Expensive apartment buildings have been built, complete with floor-length windows and private balconies. Many Wellington A-listers live there.
- The Wellingtonian