BREAKING NEWS
Russel Norman resigns as Green Party co-leader ... Read more
Close

Police blitz on drivers using cellphones

Last updated 16:11 26/11/2012

Relevant offers

The Wellingtonian

What's on in Wellington: January 29 to February 4 High cost of accidents in Wellington's schools Jamie Oliver to open restaurant in Wellington Street history: Khandallah's slice of India Stomaching bulimia on stage at Bats Thorndon PostShop to close What's on in Wellington: Jan 22 - Jan 28 Holocaust survivor Vera Egermayer tells her story ahead of Auschwitz anniversary Shakespeare for the digital age Hemi Pou's move from rep rugby to fashion

Police will be stopping drivers who are using cellphones while driving during the last week in November.

The phone-use blitz will coincide with the anniversary of legislation banning mobile phones while driving and is aimed at reminding drivers of the risks of distraction.

National road policing manager Carey Griffiths said distraction can come in many forms and changing the CD, unrestrained pets, quarrelling children, items rolling round in the car, eating or putting on makeup are some of the common ones police encounter.

Although the legislation allows the use of hands-free mobile phones, Mr Griffiths recommended that drivers minimise the potential for distraction by switching their phones off while they are driving, or pulling over to make or receive calls.

"We are now several years down the track, we don't see any excuses for people still failing to comply with this legislation. We will be taking a very firm approach and police will be out nationwide doing their best to impress upon drivers how serious we are about this issue."

Police will also be checking that passengers are wearing seatbelts, he said.

Ad Feedback

- Kapiti Observer

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content