Night classes given a boost

Last updated 11:12 18/01/2013

Relevant offers

The Wellingtonian

Tiny street with a big history Airport coffee gains high-flying customers Wellington East girls win softball champs again Sharples playing the racism card Is sevens rugby the answer? Harbour floor contamination persists San Francisco bar still rocking on? Don't cry for these Argentinians Heroes, humps and haunted house Dancers gear up for UK festival

Wellington High School and Onslow College are combining to help save adult community education in Wellington.

The government announced cuts in adult community education funding of 80 per cent - $13.2 million - in 2009, and since then many institutions have struggled to stay afloat.

"After the drastic cuts to funding, the number of schools offering community education has gone from over 220 to fewer than 40 throughout New Zealand," said Colin Wharton, director of the Wellington High School Community Education Centre.

"Many smaller schools decided not to continue. Some tried for a year or two, but have since dropped their programmes.

"The Wellington area has been lucky to have Onslow College and Wellington High, with an outpost at Newlands College, still offering courses. But Onslow has been finding it difficult to attract enough enrolments to continue night classes, particularly in the current economic climate."

To ensure courses will be available at all three sites, Wellington High and Onslow have agreed to share administration, advertising and enrolment systems.

Onslow programme co-ordinator Karen Thompson welcomed the move.

"We were struggling, but with this shared arrangement, we can offer a range of learning opportunities to our community," she said.

Term 1 begins on February 16.

To enrol, go to cecwellington.ac.nz or phone 477 1118 (Onslow College) or (385 8919) at Wellington High.

Ad Feedback

- The Wellingtonian

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content