Fever Hospital, sport and movies

JOSEPH ROMANOS
Last updated 10:39 01/02/2013

Relevant offers

The Wellingtonian

Sir Richard Taylor: For the love of Wellington Triumph and tragedy: A year of the arts in Wellington Club cricket hits the internet, live Slips, quakes and zombies Site links buyers with designers Paving the way to Anzac Day Zoo vet hospital a big success In history: The fire that stole Christmas fun Ruahine St always controversial Meet the new man at St Pat's Town

Alexandra Rd, which winds up the south side of Mt Victoria, is a haven for sports buffs.

The seven-kilometre road runs from Constable St in Newtown to just past the lookout. Situated above the Town Belt, it provides an ideal site for mountainbike and mountain running fans.

The 1998 world mountainbiking champs and the 2005 world mountain running champs were held on Mt Victoria. Both events took in Alexandra Rd.

Besides catering for biking and running adrenalin junkies, Alexandra Rd has several good walking tracks off it.

The road also houses the Wellington table tennis stadium, the Wellington Municipal Croquet Association and Wellington Harriers Athletic Club. The Wellington Softball Association is nearby.

Alexandra Park lies above Wellington College and Wellington East and below Alexandra Rd.

The Wellington Car Club periodically has Alexandra Rd closed for events. The New Zealand hillclimb championships were held there last March.

Alexandra Rd was initially named Victoria Rd. It was renamed after harassed fire brigade officials complained that Wellington had so many streets named after Queen Victoria that it had become confusing.

Queen Alexandra was the wife of King Edward VII. After he died in 1910 she was the Queen Mother until her death in 1925.

Alexandra Rd has some notable buildings including the Wellington Canine and Obedience Club. There is a dog exercise area near the bottom.

The most distinguished is the former Fever Hospital, at No 140.

It was built in 1920 by the Wellington Hospital Board for people suffering from infectious diseases. Access was difficult because Alexandra Rd was not built until the 1930s.

The Fever Hospital became the Chest Hospital in the 1970s and was closed in 1981.

In 1988, Wellington Polytechnic's School of Music began using it. The heritage-listed building has been vacant for several years, but is to become the Wellington SPCA headquarters this year.

Another early landmark in Alexandra Rd was the 2YA transmitter, built in 1927, just below the current lookout.

Some of the filming of The Lord of the Rings took place in the area just below Alexandra Rd.

Though parts of Alexandra Rd offer wonderful harbour views, much of the road remains undeveloped, and is little different to how it was a century ago, though it has more greenery.

Ad Feedback

- The Wellingtonian

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content