Food & Dining
The week we have a recipe for gluten-free nut cake, sent in all the way from the United States by Anna-Maria Hertzer.
She served this year at a Thanksgiving Dinner "to rave reviews".
300g toasted nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, or almonds)
6 eggs, separated
1 cup (250 ml) sugar, divided (half and half)
1 tsp vanilla
Confectioner's suger or icing sugar (optional)
1. Grease a 23 cm spring-form pan with butter (or an oil spray).
2. Grind nuts in blender or food processor until very fine.
3. Beat egg whites until very stiff, add half a cup of sugar; beat until sugar dissolved.
4. Beat egg yolks with remaining half a cup of sugar until thick and pale; add vanilla.
5. Stir nuts into yolk mixture; add egg whites to nut-yolk mixture. Blend well.
6. Pour into prepared pan.
7. Bake in 150°C oven for about 1 hour. Cake is cooked when skewer pushed into center of cake comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
To serve (optional): sprinkle with sifted powered sugar. Great served with whipped cream and strawberries.
Note: I prefer walnuts.
Send us your recipes
How good is your roast chicken? Do you have an easy curry recipe? What might be a fail- safe recipe for you could be exactly what someone else needs to add to their repertoire.
We are calling for your favourite recipes for a new online series. Every Tuesday we will publish a recipe of the week.
Email your recipes to editor@thewelling tonian.co.nz or message them to us through our Facebook page, facebook.com/thewelling tonian. Send photos of your dish if possible.
- The Wellingtonian