Fire double blow for quake refugee

Last updated 15:10 23/12/2012
Robinson Street, Ashburton
SHEREE THOMPSON

EXPLOSIONS HEARD: Six fire engines are at the scene of a commercial building fire in Robinson Street, Ashburton.

Relevant offers

National

Victory in Keytruda campaign comes too late for Jeff Paterson who passes away after cancer battle South Island lucky in Lotto as three winners split win 'It could have killed us': terrified residents had concern over gum tree Outgoing Police Association boss explores the effects of cannabis decriminalisation Man allegedly tries to steal baby from mum in broad daylight Christchurch's Paul Cleave wins Ngaio Marsh crime writing award for third time Manawatu cyclist shot, abused and bumped off his bike says they have become 'targets' Hometown performers take regional kapahaka title in Hawera Olympians blown away by cool Cambridge welcome No sign yet of man missing off Taranaki coast despite 35 volunteers out searching

An explosive fire destroyed two Ashburton business last night, one belonging to a former Christchurch business-owner and quake refugee.

Crews were called to an industrial site on Range St about 6pm to find Lignotech and its neighbour Advanced Upholstery ablaze and flames threatening New Zealand Couriers.

Ashburton chief fire officer Alan Burgess said there was still a lot of work to be done on the site.

The structures were so badly damaged it would be hard work to work out the cause of the fire, he said. "They are completely destroyed.''

New Zealand Couriers has some water damage, however, was able to rescue ''well in excess of 90 per cent'' of stock, Burgess said.

Advanced Upholstery is owned by former Cantabrians Sue and Brian Stockdale, who used to run an upholstery business on Cashel St.

The three business were housed in one large structure that spans between Robinson and Range streets.
Burgess said it appeared the fire began in the most southerly business and spread from one to the next.

It took six fire engines manned by crews from Ashburton, Rakia and Methven until about 11pm to bring the blaze under control.

An Ashburton fire watch house spokesperson said one of the businesses had gas cylinders it used for welding inside the building at the time and they caused explosions at the scene.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content