Chemical fumes close Auckland school

STEVE HOPKINS
Last updated 12:43 11/02/2013

Relevant offers

National

Police examine house in baby death Wintry blast closes roads NCEA excellence and merit endorsements more than double Missing out on food to stay warm Elderly Manawatu man who spent days injured on floor says strong will kept him going Fresh start turned into an $820 rental scam Principals reject sex education 'pleasure zone' teaching Family, baby and cat saved by smoke alarms Snowy blast: What you need to know More than 1300 apply for Uber jobs in Christchurch

An Auckland primary school has been evacuated and a man has been decontaminated after two pool chemicals reacted badly when mixed together today.

Fire Service spokeswoman Tania Matthews said they were called to Hillpark Primary School, in Manurewa, at 10.17am by St John ambulance staff who treated a man who was "overcome" when he breathed in the fumes.

Matthews said the man was decontaminated at the school in Grande Vue Rd.   

She said the school had been evacuated and fans were being used to clear the fumes.

It was not known when the children would be allowed to return to the school, but Matthews said shortly after midday that firefighters would remain at the scene for some time. 

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content