Fiji charges boy, 10, with manslaughter

MICHAEL FIELD
Last updated 07:33 14/02/2013

Relevant offers

National

A couple of days of warm, sunny weather before a windy spring spell Family of manslaughter victim Matthew Coley want discussion about New Zealand youth violence Man critically injured after crashing into garage Robbed Christchurch dairy owner: 'I thought they were going to kill me' Students use knives and hurl chairs in South Auckland KFC brawl UN Sec-Gen vote: Helen Clark in or out? Man arrested after armed police incident in Katikati Formal warnings for digging duck pond on protected wetland Suspicious blaze burns outside of Taupiri marae Brisk morning for Christchurch

Fiji police have charged a 10-year-old boy with manslaughter over the killing of a six-year-old Auckland boy last month.

Mohammed Khubeb Khan and a 14-year-old cousin, Mohammed Nabil Khan, were hit by a slug from a 12-gauge shotgun as they were playing at a new family home near Lautoka.

Khubeb was declared dead on arrival at Lautoka hospital while Nabil is still being treated.

The gun's licensed owner, 37-year-old pilot Mohammad Rizwan Khan, is also to be charged with manslaughter.

Fiji's director of public prosecutions, former Christchurch lawyer Christopher Pryde, said in a statement it wasn't an easy decision to charge the 10-year-old.

He said the courts will ultimately decide guilt or innocence but at the present, there is sufficient evidence to justify laying charges against the boy.

The 10-year-old's name has been suppressed and he will appear again on February 25 in the Lautoka Magistrate's Court.

Rizwan Khan is in custody having earlier appearing on firearms charges.

The incident occurred when the boys were in a vehicle where the gun was.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content