Fire closes Wellington school

20:44, May 06 2012
Fire damaged the administration block at Paparangi School.
Fire damaged the administration block at Paparangi School.

A Wellington school was damaged by a suspicious fire this morning, the second blaze at the school in the past year.

The blaze at Paparangi School in Newlands happened shortly after 3am and badly damaged the administration block.

Power had been cut to the school and parents were asked to keep their children at home.

The school would be closed for the day, but some staff would be available to supervise children who were not able to stay home.

Board of Trustees chairman Martin Collison said there had been previous fires at the school, one which was caused by an electrical fault.

"We had an electrical fire last year so I guess they will look to see if it was a similar cause.”

The fire looked to be contained to the entrance area of the administration block but the extent of the damage was unclear as police had blocked access while they conducted an investigation, he said.

It was hoped power could be restored and the school reopened tomorrow.

A fire service spokesman said four engines attended the blaze, which was extinguished quickly.

The cause has not been confirmed and anyone with information about the fire or anyone who may have been in the area at the time was asked to contact police on (04) 381 2000.


The Dominion Post