Woman survives Rimutaka plunge

Last updated 09:18 12/10/2012

Relevant offers

Northern Suburbs

School bug spreads to community Tow truck breaks down on motorway off-ramp Driver smashes Onslow basketball hoop Elderly woman seriously injured after crash Scout Hall fire treated as suspicious Ailing 'old dog' given reluctant bullet UFB contractors rupture gas main Children return wedding ring lost in pool Walsh seeking to repeat medal haul in age-group championships Heart attack death at Makara Peak

An Upper Hutt woman has been found alive eight hours after she plunged off the side of the Rimutaka Hill Rd.

The woman, 51, crashed down the side of the steep and windy hill about 10pm last night.

A specialised ''high-angle" rescue crew from the Porirua Fire Station spent last night searching for the woman.

Senior station officer Trevor Sheenhan said the car was about 60 metres down the bank, which was very steep.

''It would be almost a cliff."

The woman was found a number of metres beyond the car at 6am. She was winched out by rescue helicopter and taken to Wellington Hospital just before 7.30am. She was discharged just before 11.30am.

The ''impenetrable bush'' was the only thing that stopped the car travelling up to 200m to the bottom of the hill.

"If the bush wasn't there and if she was in the car for that, the chances for surviving that would be pretty [low]. But miracles do happen."

Acting Senior Sergeant Andrzej Kowalczyk said the woman was suffering possible shock and hypothermia when she was found. She had no life-threatening injuries.

Mr Kowalczyk said it was a cold night on the hill with strong winds blowing.

Emergency services were alerted last night when a member of the public found a car-sized hole in a fence on Rimutaka Hill about 10pm. An off-duty search and rescue officer arrived at the scene and scaled the bank to find the car but no-one inside.

A police dog was brought in to help find the woman but the terrain was too steep.

Searchers swept the area in the likely places she may have wandered.

Westpac Rescue Helicopter crewman Dave Greenberg said it was an amazing survival story, especially as the woman was in good condition when she was winched out.

''A bit cold but no apparent injuries.''

She was able to talk to rescuers, he said.

''When she first got in someone had given her yellow rain pants. I said to her 'yellow's not your colour' and I got a bit of a smile.''

At Wellington Hospital she was able to walk from the helicopter. The helicopter was called to search for the woman last night then returned about 7am today.

Rescuers had cleared a large area of bush to help with the winching operation but it was still tricky work for the pilot, contending with high winds and flying near the edge of the steep hill.

MetService forecaster John Law said the temperature on the hill got down to 7degC last night.

"Fortunately it wasn't as cold as it has been."

The crash was on the Featherston side of the hill about halfway down.

Her family had been notified. 

In 2009, Lower Hutt man Stephen Adams, 50, drove off the Rimutaka Hill Rd near the summit.

Despite initial searches, his body was not found till almost two months later when a low-flying helicopter spotted his Ford Falcon XR6 in a ravine.

Contact Tom Hunt
Email: tom.hunt@dompost.co.nz
Twitter: @tomdom76

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post


Special offers
Opinion poll

Do you intentionally buy organic food?

Yes - exclusively

I try to if possible

Maybe half of the time

Not very often


I don't even take notice

Vote Result

Related story: Wellingtonians driving organic food mainstream

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content