Another brother concerned over missing cash
A second brother of NZ First MP and former television weatherman Brendan Horan says he has concerns about money going missing from the bank accounts of their late mother.
Forensic accountants are investigating the estate of Olwen Horan, who died of cancer in August.
The 87-year-old had less than $3000 in her current account when she died, down from $259,000 in February 2007. The Mt Maunganui resident won about $1 million in prizes in an Australian lottery in 1999.
About a month before she died on August 3, Olwen Horan signed an amendment to her will authorising the executor to "recover money by any lawful means" from Mr Horan, "which has either been loaned . . . by me, or taken from me".
Brendan Horan's half-brother Mana Ormsby alleges Mr Horan has been trying to discredit him and the executor of his mother's will, John Buckthought, ever since power of attorney was removed from their sister, Marilyn Bleackley. "He didn't want anything to come out."
Another brother, Peter Horan, said yesterday he had concerns money had gone missing from his mother's accounts and he was pleased forensic accountants were looking into the matter.
It is understood the forensic examination will look at the use of Mrs Horan's eftpos and credit cards, and cheque transactions.
Peter Horan said he was also being discredited and there had been anonymous calls about him to media yesterday.
"I've been advised to lay low at the moment. All I'd be doing would be putting myself and my family in jeopardy," he said. The Dominion Post has obtained a copy of Mrs Horan's will which leaves a lion's share of $150,000 to Peter Horan.
Mr Ormsby is an invalid beneficiary who cared for his mother as she battled cancer.
Brendan Horan has confirmed he owed his mother $350 when she died.
He said yesterday he was taking legal action but would not say whether it was against his brother or media who had published allegations about him. "I can't comment because the whole issue is in the hands of the lawyers."
Legal action was likely to be initiated in the next few days.
The allegations against him were baseless, as were any allegations about his sister.
He would "absolutely" be cleared by the forensic investigation. "No question whatsoever."
NZ First leader Winston Peters said the Horan family still had not provided him with any facts to back up its claims against his MP.
"I don't take these matters lightly but I will not do what I've seen in the past where people have been railroaded without any evidence . . . just allegations."
Mr Peters said he would not take any actions against his MP until the allegations had been proven.
The Dominion Post