White powder in shed puts two in hospital

ANDREA O'NEIL
Last updated 05:00 28/01/2014
Plimmerton’s Barrie Maclean
CAMERON BURNELL/Fairfax NZ

DANGER ZONE: Plimmerton’s Barrie Maclean needed hospital treatment after disturbing a mystery container of white powder in his garden shed.

Relevant offers

Porirua

Kapiti Coast commuters endure long delays on Friday trip home Shhhhh: small, 'secretive' birds transferred back to Porirua wetland Ella-Ruth Clifford: being a patrol leader, speaking Khmer and reading minds. Sprayed and bitten man claims police used excessive force during arrest in Porirua After 67 years, Porirua church hangs WWII honours board - Catholic names and all 'We have nothing left': Family fights flames but loses everything in Porirua house fire Diver dies in 'medical incident' at Titahi Bay, Porirua Anzac Day 2017: Services across the Wellington region and Hawke's Bay One year on from Porirua's siege: A love story to the city that took me in Porirua siege a year on: did arsonist mean to torch house where Pita Te Kira died?

A mystery white powder put two Plimmerton men in hospital, while 18 fire officers decontaminated a School Rd garden shed.

Barrie Maclean, 64, discovered a plastic container of powder while cleaning his shed, and invited neighbour Jay Havill, 19, round to help check what it was.

After smelling and touching the powder the pair began feeling ill and phoned the fire service, which arrived at 4pm. Four fire engines and a specialist hazardous materials vehicle went to the scene.

Firefighters spent 90 minutes at the house, putting the powder in a hazardous substances container, cordoning off Mr Maclean's shed and assessing the men involved and their neighbours.

Porirua City Council staff were analysing the powder yesterday but did not yet know what it was. It had been left in the shed by a previous tenant was unlabelled.

An ambulance took Mr Maclean and Mr Havill to hospital for several hours to be tested and observed.

Mr Maclean, who touched the powder, said his fingers burned, he got a rash on his hands, his tongue went numb and he felt nauseous.

Mr Havill also got a numb tongue and felt queasy. The powder had smelled like cattle drench, he said.

Carl Mills, chief fire officer at Plimmerton Volunteer Fire Brigade, said the unknown substance could have been a fertiliser or a washing powder that became an irritant when mixed with water.

The men did the right thing by calling for help, Mr Mills said.

"It wasn't an over-reaction on the behalf of anybody. We'll always treat it as the worst case until we're certain the problem is contained."

WHAT TO DO

Advice from the Fire Service on dealing with potential hazards in the garden shed:

Make sure the chemical products you buy are the ones you need

Don't store large amounts of toxic products

Label your containers well, and remove food labels from recycled containers

Store toxic products away from children: lock the shed or put containers on a high shelf

Make sure your container is fit for the purpose, and does not get wet in your shed if water can cause a chemical reaction

Call 111 if you are worried you have mishandled a chemical product

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

How many coffees do you have a day?

5 or even more

3-4

2

1

Anything from 1-5.

Don't touch the stuff.

Vote Result

Related story: Coffee as we know it at risk of dying

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content