Man accidentally inhales poisonous gas

Last updated 18:40 14/05/2014

Relevant offers

Wairarapa

Council wants strategic Featherston site sold Burglars steal possessions worth $10,000 while family at home SH2 at Te Marua in Upper Hutt reopens after crash El Nino predicted to give farmers a rough ride over spring and summer Motorcyclists angered after Wairarapa forestry firm blocks public road Martinborough Town Hall project in doubt Carterton waste land to be turned into wetland Carterton District Council takes a hit on forest harvest Child sex offender welcomes supervision on release from prison Masterton man's spectacular run of scooter-related rotten luck moves reader

Emergency services were called to a South Wairarapa property after a man inhaled a dangerous gas.

Fire communications spokesman Mike Wanoa said crews had been called by paramedics about 3.30pm after initial reports that a man had been mixing chemicals and inhaled mustard gas.

The man was treated by paramedics and understood not to be in serious condition. 

Featherston fire chief Colin McKenna said the gas the man inhaled was not mustard gas, but could have been dangerous.

"I don't know where the mustard gas thing came from... It was two chemicals that were mixed together, obviously they didn't go together though. The guy got a bit of a whiff of it and it knocked him over."

One of the chemicals was chlorine, he said.

McKenna understood the man was taken to hospital as a precaution and for observation.

Two firecrews from Featherston station responded, however the chemical mixture had been safely disposed of by the time they arrived and there was no danger to the public so they were stood down.

Wellington Free Ambulance spokesman Daniel Paul said the 43-year-old man was treated at the scene for shortness of breath and taken to hospital. He understood the effects of the incident on the man were "pretty minor."

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

How many coffees do you have a day?

5 or even more

3-4

2

1

Anything from 1-5.

Don't touch the stuff.

Vote Result

Related story: Coffee as we know it at risk of dying

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content