A six-year-old boy was run over by another child while taking part in a motocross race for under-12s at the weekend.
The boy, son of event organiser and sponsor Nathan Sargent, is now recovering at home after spending Saturday night in Wellington Hospital.
Mr Sargent, who owns Sargent Motorcycles in Carterton, said neither his son nor the other rider were very upset by the accident.
"He's all good, he's walking around. Just a bit sore in the stomach, just a bit of minor bruising."
The riders were taking part in a mini motocross event on Springrock Farm, at Gladstone, part of a three-day event for children under 12. Mr Sargent said his son came off his bike and was hit by a rider of a similar age.
"He's just come off and the other kid was right behind him, there was just nowhere to go."
Martinborough volunteer firefighter Dean Di Bona was one of the first on the scene and said the injured boy was put in a neck brace and given first aid by an off-duty paramedic volunteering at the event, amid fears of serious internal injuries.
The brigade's medic then helped stabilise the boy until Life Flight Trust's Westpac rescue helicopter took him to Wellington Hospital.
"He wasn't crying or anything, but it was obvious he was in pain," Mr Di Bona said.
Motorcycling New Zealand president Jim Tuckerman said hundreds of children as young as 4 raced every weekend in motocross events in the lower North Island alone.
While accidents did happen, the number of serious injuries was "extremely low".
"Kids fall off . . . they're learning. But very, very few require hospital treatment."
A spokesman for WorkSafe NZ said there had been no complaint or report about the incident.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Would you support your local council paying the 'living wage'?Related story: Council's living wage blowout