Wellington deluged by heavy rain

01:06, Feb 06 2013
WATER FEATURE: Leonard Hilton surveys the lake which has formed outside his house.

Seven properties have been cut off by flooding in Porirua after heavy rains lashed the Wellington region.

About 7 homes on Pukaki Gr in Waitangirua were blocked off this morning by a small lake which  formed at the bottom of the cul de sac.

Leonard Hilton, whose home was lowest among the properties, said it was an issue which had been around for 14 years and the council still had not fixed it.

WATERWORLD: Flooding in Porirua last night.

The road flooded at least once per year and sometimes more, he said.

The flooding began about 6pm last night and by 9am a blockage meant the water could not escape.

The council had been called and the fire service had attended but was unable to drain the lake.


Has your property been affected by flooding? Call us on 0800 DOMPOST or email news@dompost.co.nz

For Pukaki Gr resident Jaymie Baker the flood waters meant he was unable to take his children to school and, with his work truck parked on his property, he could not go to work.

However, he had a four-wheel-drive motorbike, meaning he was able to get to the shops to pick up some food for his children for their day off. It also meant he could ferry his sister to her car, uphill from the floods, so she could get to work

A month’s worth of rain has fallen on Wellington since yesterday – and more is set to fall today.

MetService said 39mm of rain fell at the airport yesterday, and 9mm so far this morning.

February’s average monthly rainfall is around 50mm, MetService duty forecaster Brooke Lockhart said.

Between 50-100mm of rain fell in Wellington between yesterday and 6am today.

Inspector Marty Parker said Akatarawa Rd – which joins Waikanae and Upper Hutt – remained closed this morning due to a slip brought down in the rain.

There was also some debris on the Rimutaka Hill Rd but traffic was able to get around this morning.

The subway at Epuni train station on the Upper Hutt rail line was filled waist-deep with water last night, and Fire Service crews were called in to pump it out.


The weather may also have contributed to a spate of motor vehicles accidents during the morning commute into Wellington.

Two people suffered minor injuries from two crashes on Hutt Rd, Pipitea and Riddiford St, Newtown before 9.30am.

A car also hit an object on Ngauranga Gorge just after 8am.


While the heavy rain warning over the Tararua Ranges had eased today, the rain will continue through the morning, before turning to showers this afternoon, Ms Lockhart said.

The showers should clear early tomorrow morning, and fine weather was forecast for the rest of the day.

Another high would then move over the country, and the sunshine should remain through to the end of the week.

Today’s heavy rain was a combination of two fronts, one from the south and the other from the west, combining over Wellington, Ms Lockhart said.

Fire service shift manager Murray Dunbar said the service got 67 callouts in the greater Wellington region between 8-10.30pm last night with several properties flooded.

Mr Dunbar said the rain seemed to have coincided with a high tide, leaving the water with nowhere to go.

Wellington and Kapiti recorded 150 lightning strikes over the evening, he said.

NZTA spokesman Anthony Frith said a blocked culvert caused flooding on state highway 1 near Paekakariki last night.

Traffic had to be diverted via side roads until the blockage was cleared at 4am.

The Dominion Post