More than $1m to upgrade now-empty flats

Last updated 11:44 03/04/2013
Gordon Wilson Flats
CRAIG SIMCOX/Fairfax NZ

GORDON WILSON FLATS: Evacuated months after a million-dollar upgrade.

Related Links

Unsafe flats: Get out in seven days Unsafe flats: 'This is my castle' 'Large person' could cause collapse

Relevant offers

Wellington

Cops say Wellington man wanted for breaching release conditions probably homeless Wellington could start charging grieving families $50 for being late to burials Tobacco scenes on screen should carry R-rating, say researchers Councils say 'shrinking' police service leaves them to pick up the bill Fireman on crash charge accuses bosses of a lack of moral support Hutt Valley man jailed for sharing child abuse images with undercover cop appeals sentence More accusations of Jehovah's Witnesses 'preying' on grief The first day of winter is upon us - and we'll feel it in Wellington David Jones Wellington to open on July 28, offering VIP and personal shopping services Kiwi in Japanese jail pleads with NZ government to agree prison transfer deal

More than $1 million was spent to repair the interior of a central Wellington block of flats evacuated just months later.

The Housing New Zealand-owned Gordon Wilson building, on The Terrace, was evacuated in May last year after a report showed its concrete facade could fall off in an earthquake, or strong wind.

Documents released to Radio New Zealand under the Official Information Act show HNZ spent $1.5 million on stairwell and roof improvements on the building, home to 130 people, as phase one of a repair project.

It was budgeted to cost $1.3 million but cost $200,000 more due to additional work and consultants' fees.

A second stage of repairs, to the outside, was stopped when the extent of problems with the facade were revealed.

The corporation's asset developments manager Sean Bignell said the spending was necessary because the extent of damage to the outside was not known until the second stage began.

The 1950s building remains empty, with the residents, largely beneficiaries, pensioners and recent migrants, rehoused.

Mr Bignell told RNZ the corporation should make a decision about its future in three months.

A full rebuild was being considered, he said.

Wellington Central MP Grant Robertson told RNZ the site should be rebuilt as a modern social housing development.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

What should happen with the Zephyrometer?

Build a new one just like the old one

Replace it with something completely new

Leave it as it is!

Clear the space - not a good place for a sculpture

Vote Result

Related story: Wind wand's future up in the air

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content