This month's 6.6-magnitude earthquake bounced two huge container cranes off their rail tracks at CentrePort, and one of them was out of action until Wednesday.
Concrete piles beneath the wharf at the southern end of the terminal were damaged in the quake, on August 16, and engineers' checks are likely to take about another month.
In the meantime, the heavy duty container-lifting crane was being kept off the southern end as a precaution.
CentrePort chairman Warren Larsen confirmed yesterday that the crane at the southern end, closest to Oriental Bay, had been moved to the northern end of the Aotea Quay container terminal after the quake.
Wharf workers have told The Dominion Post about 50 of the massive container terminal piles had been damaged in the quake, but Mr Larsen said that was speculation.
"We need to find out the exact situation and we'll find that out when the engineers come back with their final report."
He confirmed "a few piles" had been damaged. There had been no disruption to any container ship services.
When the quake struck, about 2.30pm, the OOCL New Zealand container ship was being loaded and unloaded.
One port worker said yesterday: "The captain of the OOCL New Zealand couldn't get his ship out of there quick enough after the quake. He'd had enough of Wellington. He was outta there quick as."
- © Fairfax NZ News
Which of the three options for Wellington's public transport spine would you prefer?Related story: (See story)