Murder accused well enough for prison

Last updated 10:37 19/12/2013

Relevant offers

Wellington

CuriousCity: What lurks beneath Wellington Harbour Us Two: The Black Seeds frontman Barnaby Weir and sound engineer Lee Prebble Council plans to fight rising sea levels threaten Kiwi seaside property dream Girl, 14, left in Wellington police interview room for hours after arrest Porirua may ban beggars as locals claim drug use is making them more aggressive Hundreds set to march through Wellington on Trump’s first day in office Beach rescuer wants to hear from crash victims and return their keys Earthquake assessment still to be carried out on Whitireia Polytech library Fun for all the family at Eat, Drink & Be Crafty Fair on January 28 Porirua children's orchestra hitting all the right chords on international exams

The man accused of murdering Sarwan Lata at her Woodridge, Wellington, home last month is now well enough to be shifted from a psychiatric hospital to prison.

The man, 47, whose name is suppressed in the meantime, appeared briefly in the High Court at Wellington today.

His lawyer, Janine Bonifant, said he was well enough to be moved from a hospital to custody in prison. He may apply for bail later, she said.

Justice Ron Young remanded the man to appear in court again next March. His trial has been tentatively set for October.

Ms Lata, 38, is alleged to have had a protection order against the man accused of her murder.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

What should happen with the Zephyrometer?

Build a new one just like the old one

Replace it with something completely new

Leave it as it is!

Clear the space - not a good place for a sculpture

Vote Result

Related story: Wind wand's future up in the air

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content