Driver badly burned by radiator

Last updated 11:47 29/01/2014

Relevant offers

Wellington

New Zealand's apartment fire regulations 'best in the world' - but too many apartment blocks have cut corners High St to Home: How to get Slim Davey's cool vibe Lions fans: where to get medical help in Wellington Kiwi lads take problem-solving skills to India for World Puzzle Championships Favourite Teacher Awards: Teachers are the biggest influence on kids' success; we meet some of New Zealand's best Your one-stop guide to the capital's Lions tour offerings First-of-its-kind case as student takes Government to court over climate change Wellingtonians taking part in 'virtual' solar and battery power plant trial Oh behave! Wellington bars to share info on problem punters with Lions tour in town Daughter's debt to lender-parents has $14,000 costs added to $367,000

A Wellington man has been taken to hospital with potentially life-threatening burns to a third of his body after he pulled over to check a car radiator and it exploded in his face.

The man, aged in his 30s, has been rushed to Hutt Hospital's emergency department with scalding to about 30 per cent of his body after the incident on Russell Street in Berhampore at about 4.30pm yesterday.

It is understood the driver had pulled over to check an overheating car and had opened the bonnet to check the radiator, which exploded, scalding him with boiling hot water.

The right side of his face, his flank and abdomen were all burned, a Wellington Free Ambulance spokesman said.

The man was taken to Hutt Hospital which houses a specialist burns unit as his injuries were potentially life threatening, a Wellington Free Ambulance spokesman said.

His injuries were described as ''partial thickness'' burns, colloquially known as second-degree burns to the second layer of skin.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

What should happen with the Zephyrometer?

Build a new one just like the old one

Replace it with something completely new

Leave it as it is!

Clear the space - not a good place for a sculpture

Vote Result

Related story: Wind wand's future up in the air

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content