Roadworker hospitalised after shock

Last updated 16:05 13/02/2014

Relevant offers

Wellington

FMA in Court of Appeal with financial services company headed by Luigi Wewege Performer channels inner Beyonce Carless day on Miramar Peninsula What's on in Wellington: From Feb 11 Secret tunnels and the threat of closure all part of Scots College's 100 years Creator of 'Make love not porn' site heads for Wellington Basketball singlets stolen in brazen theft from Footlocker store Wellington warm spell boosts hospitality sector as residents spend locally Rapist's 'disgraceful' schemes don't make him guilty of crime, Supreme Court told Nude man in van sparks 'stranger danger' warning at Tawa school

A roadworker has been taken to hospital after receiving an electric shock while water-blasting on a Mt Victoria street.

A witness to the incident on hilly McFarlane St this afternoon said he saw the roadworker, who had been waterblasting in a team of trench diggers, sink to his knees and clutch his chest.

The fire service and police were called to assist at about 3.40pm after receiving a report a worker had been dealt an electric shock.

A Wellington Free Ambulance spokeswoman said the man received a "brief" shock and while no serious injury was immediately evident he had been taken to Wellington Hospital as a precaution.

It is understood the man received a 400-volt blast.

He had been water-blasting the ground and aimed at what he though was a telecommunications line but was actually a live power-line, the ambulance spokeswoman added. 

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

What should happen with the Zephyrometer?

Build a new one just like the old one

Replace it with something completely new

Leave it as it is!

Clear the space - not a good place for a sculpture

Vote Result

Related story: Wind wand's future up in the air

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content