Roadworker hospitalised after shock

A roadworker has been taken to hospital after receiving an electric shock while water-blasting on a Mt Victoria street.

A witness to the incident on hilly McFarlane St this afternoon said he saw the roadworker, who had been waterblasting in a team of trench diggers, sink to his knees and clutch his chest.

The fire service and police were called to assist at about 3.40pm after receiving a report a worker had been dealt an electric shock.

A Wellington Free Ambulance spokeswoman said the man received a "brief" shock and while no serious injury was immediately evident he had been taken to Wellington Hospital as a precaution.

It is understood the man received a 400-volt blast.

He had been water-blasting the ground and aimed at what he though was a telecommunications line but was actually a live power-line, the ambulance spokeswoman added. 

The Dominion Post