A roadworker has been taken to hospital after receiving an electric shock while water-blasting on a Mt Victoria street.
A witness to the incident on hilly McFarlane St this afternoon said he saw the roadworker, who had been waterblasting in a team of trench diggers, sink to his knees and clutch his chest.
The fire service and police were called to assist at about 3.40pm after receiving a report a worker had been dealt an electric shock.
A Wellington Free Ambulance spokeswoman said the man received a "brief" shock and while no serious injury was immediately evident he had been taken to Wellington Hospital as a precaution.
It is understood the man received a 400-volt blast.
He had been water-blasting the ground and aimed at what he though was a telecommunications line but was actually a live power-line, the ambulance spokeswoman added.
- The Dominion Post
Does Wellington need a hotel/conference centre at $2m a year in ratepayers' costs?Related story: Five stars come at a price for ratepayers