Man sought over Kilbirnie blaze

Last updated 16:37 09/04/2014
CAMERON BURNELL/Fairfax NZ

Police release details on the arson investigation at the Kiwi Storage facility

Kilbirnie fire suspect
MAN SOUGHT: Police have released CCTV images of this man, seen entering a Kilbirnie self storage unit shortly before it went up in flames.

Relevant offers

Wellington

Snow, hail for lower North Island 50 years of intensive care Ian McKinnon: Town and gown Slip-affected houses being knocked down Residents want public toilets in Breaker Bay Cuba's characters colourful - and a curse City's '8 big ideas' likely to lift rates Subdued market more than winter woe Testing for second Terrace tunnel to start Ex-husband pleads not guilty to murder

Police want the public's help to identify a man seen carrying a 25-litre tank into a self-storage facility shortly before a fire ripped through it.

The fire at the Kiwi Self-Storage facility in Kilbirnie, Wellington affected an estimated 200 units. Some were completely destroyed and many of the contents of the less-affected ground floor units had smoke or water damage.

CCTV images captured shortly before the fire were released by police t day, which show a man wearing a white t-shirt over a black hooded sweatshirt, dark pants, and a white Vodka Cruiser cap and carrying a red, 25-litre carry tank.

Police have confirmed there was an explosion in the unit in which the fire started, but forensic testing was still underway to establish whether the fire caused the explosion or the explosion caused the fire, and if an accelerant was used in the arson.

''We now believe that his was a malicious, deliberate and pre-planned arson. The occupier of the unit where the blaze started is assisting Police with our inquiries but we need the public's assistance to help identify the person shown,'' said detective senior sergeant Grant Ferguson.

Ferguson said yesterday that police had been unable to establish where the owner  of the unit in which the fire started lived.

"We are trying to find him, but it is proving quite difficult at the moment."

The arson appeared planned and the person had gone to some effort to cover their face, Ferguson said.

"At this stage, there is no suggestion he is responsible for whatever actually happened. We want to speak to him and find out what was contained in the unit."

Ferguson also said there was no evidence to suggest a connection to a recent suspicious fire at nearby abandoned Miramar South School.

Ferguson added the suspect had not forced entry but he was "not prepared to go into detail" of how they got inside or whether they got in using a code entered into a keypad that limits access to the facility.

Police would still like to speak to anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area around 12.45am on Friday, April 4.

Police are encouraging people wishing to register their loss and be kept up to date on progress to email kiwistoragefire@police.govt.nz.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

Does Wellington need a hotel/conference centre at $2m a year in ratepayers' costs?

Yes - benefits far outweigh costs.

Not sure - need to see more details.

No - it'll turn out to be a white elephant.

Vote Result

Related story: Five stars come at a price for ratepayers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content