Chemical hazard at rest home

Emergency services at the scene of a chemical hazard at a Johnsonville rest home.
Emergency services at the scene of a chemical hazard at a Johnsonville rest home.

The Fire Service says a potentially explosive cleaning product mix-up is behind an emergency at a rest home in northern Wellington.

Elderly residents and kindergarten children in the suburb of Johnsonville have been told to stay indoors for safety after two different cleaning products were "accidentally" mixed together at the Johnsonvale Rest Home this afternoon, Fire Service Incident Commander Paul Smith said.

It is not certain whether it was a rest home staff member who mixed the two cleaning products together in a 20 litre plastic container.

When mixed together the two chemical products set off a heat reaction that could have caused an explosion, Smith said.

The Fire Service evacuated the nearby area while hazard controllers released the pressure in the container.

The container has been disposed of and residents barred from entering the affected area would be allowed back into their homes within the hour, Smith said.

The Dominion Post