Navy searches for capsize canoe victims

Last updated 11:05 02/09/2012
Reuters

A wooden ferry capsizes off the coast of Guinea, killing at least eight and leaving dozens missing. Andrew Raven reports.

Relevant offers

World

Hillary Clinton hits Trump on porn cameo after he tweets of 'sex tape' Phoebe Handsjuk's waste chute death unlike anything else Dangerous weather warning for south west of WA - homes and property under threat Farmers swamped after 35,000 mega litres of water released from dam in NSW, Australia In death, Peres brings Israelis, Palestinians together Police investigate after deer killed by car on busy road in Australian CBD Royals take fishing trip, paddle replica war canoe in Canada After American sisters die at luxury Seychelles resort, family seeks answers Watch a bird-eating tarantula shed its skin $1 coal mines turn to jackpots as China's cuts drive price rally

The Guinean navy is scouring the coast off of Guinea’s capital, Conakry, looking for about 36 missing people after their overloaded canoe capsized in inclement weather. 

On Friday (local time), officials retrieved eight bodies, including six women and two children.

A forensic doctor at the municipal morgue let an Associated Press reporter see the corpses, and pointed out that several had traces of blood coming out of their nose — a sign, he said, that their lungs had burst. 

Raphael Bangoura, commander of the port of Bolbinet, where the incident happened, said Saturday (local time) that about 65 people were aboard the canoe, and that 21 had been saved. 

Counting the eight dead, he said that that means roughly 36 people could still be in the water.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content