Suicide bomber kills two, injures 60

Last updated 00:41 24/11/2012

Relevant offers

World

Toxic Indian lake is 'superbug hotspot' Teen kills father, opens fire on South Carolina schoolyard - police Doctor 'used cat saliva,vodka in vaccines' Dying man's tears may have given son Zika US election: Donald Trump's wealth shrunk by $1b last year, says Forbes Helen Clark's chances at the UN take a hit after a late entry in the race 'Mega-storm' warning for New South Wales, Australia Alec Baldwin to play Donald Trump on Saturday Night Live Reporter Noor Tagouri first person to feature in Playboy wearing hijab State in the dark: Why South Australia went without power

A suicide attacker has detonated a car laden with explosives in eastern Afghanistan, killing two civilians and wounding about 60 others, officials said.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the bombing, saying in a statement that the attack was in response to the recent execution of four Taliban detainees at the Afghan government's main detention center in Kabul.

The men were convicted and sentenced to death in Afghan courts for a variety of crimes, including murder, rape, kidnapping, robbery and cruelty against children. The Taliban condemned the hangings, saying the detainees were prisoners of war who were unjustly jailed.

Shahidullah Shahid, a spokesman for Wardak province, said the blast went off shortly before 7:30 a.m. on a street where international and Afghan security forces have a coordination office. He said at least two people were killed and 60 others were wounded in the explosion.

The Taliban said two suicide bombers were involved in the attack in Maidan Shahr, the capital of Wardak province. The insurgent group claimed the two attackers killed tens of Afghan and international troops, although the Taliban often exaggerate the number of casualties caused in their attacks.

Afghan and international forces have been working to root out insurgents in Wardak province to keep them from moving north into the Afghan capital. The international forces are scheduled to turn over security responsibility to local troops by the end of 2014.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content