Savile not alone in BBC sex allegations

Last updated 14:52 23/01/2013
Stuart Hall
PHIL NOBLE/ Reuters
CHARGED: Stuart Hall faces sex crime allegations.

Relevant offers

World

Kim Jong-nam assassination: Video emerges purportedly showing the moment he was fatally poisoned The Swedish terror that only Donald Trump was brave enough to call out Adolf Hitler's 'device of destruction' telephone sells for $338,500 at US auction 'Make America smart again': Scientists in US rally against Trump's reality The case of the bullet fired in US that killed a teenager in Mexico Murder in Malaysia shows North Korea is reckless, says South Korea PM Ex-Donald Trump limo for sale 'Fire' spews from waterfall: Capturing the optical illusion of firefall at Yosemite Park Tragedy on the tracks as train hits stalled car 'Crazed' man in Hawaii rams airport doors, dies after struggle with police

A veteran British TV presenter has been charged with rape and 14 counts of indecent assault on underage girls, police say, deepening concerns about sex abuse by top BBC personalities decades ago.

Stuart Hall, 83, best known for hosting It’s a Knockout in the 1970s and 1980s, was questioned after late broadcaster Jimmy Savile was exposed last year as a serial child sex abuser, prompting a flurry of further sex crime allegations.

Hall, who was still appearing regularly on BBC radio until recently, had already been charged with three counts of indecent assault, in December. He denied all charges.

Hall was bailed to appear before magistrates in Preston, northwest England, on February 7.

The rape was alleged to have been committed in 1976 against a 22-year old woman, the police said.

The indecent assaults were alleged to have been committed between 1967 and 1986 and to involve 10 girls aged between nine and 16 years.

There was no immediate comment by the BBC, Britain’s public broadcaster whose director general was forced out of office by the Savile scandal.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content