Striker celebrates with three goals for Northern United

Northern United striker Todd Gould celebrated his selection in the Wellington national league team with three goals in his side's 5-1 win over Indians.

The former Otago player, who last year turned out for Dalefield, scored twice in the first half as he took advantage of good lead-up work from Grant Down and Stu Pitu. Gould's third goal, and another from Damian Watson, were both outstanding strikes.

Imprecise finishing continued to beset the Indian strikers who once again were unable to take several clear-cut chances of their own.

In-form Hutt overcame a committed Transact Victoria 4-2 in cold, wet conditions. Trevor Garrett had the students on the board early before Robbie Burgess equalised after 20 minutes. Scott Barnett followed up a penalty corner for Hutt's second and then Vic's Cam Birchall brought the scores level again. Scott Kearney and Ollie McIntyre shone for Hutt in an entertaining second half, as Barnett and Joel Baker scored to seal the win.

In the women's competition, Hutt beat a resilient Indians 5-1 despite being a player down when Zara Golding was hit in the face by the ball in the 10th minute. Indians scored first through Francie McIntyre with a penalty corner variation and their staunch defence, led by goalkeeper Lilliana Wiles, held out the aggressive Hutt until Carla Burt slipped in an equaliser before the break. In the second half, Suzie Muirhead scored two goals, Ashleigh Andrews scored once and Burt added her second.

Leaders Eastern Hutt avoided a third consecutive defeat, securing a hard-fought 1-1 draw against Transact Victoria. An early break-down in front of goal allowed Grace Seeley to put Varsity ahead. In the second half, scrambling from both sides kept the score line intact; Eastern Hutt even calling on the experienced Nin Roberts as they sought the equaliser. With 10 minutes left Eastern captain Aniwaka Roberts rescued her team with a fine solo effort.

Harbour City pipped a brave Karori 2-1. Harbour scored first through Jenna Anderson but Karori responded quickly through a hard-hit Brooke Young goal. Young teamed up nicely with midfielders Hannah Laity and Maddie Simmonds, hassling Harbour for possession. Harbour welcomed back defender Holly Gaskin from a season playing in Germany and her accurate drag flick from a penalty corner proved to be the winner.

LAST place beat first in the upset of the Wellington club league season on Saturday.

St George's shock 18-8 triumph over Porirua mean the Vikings now share the competition lead with Randwick.

St George hooker Grant Whaanga had another outstanding game as the Dragons ran in three tries for a commanding 16-0 lead at halftime.

Whaanga's nippy runs out of dummy half kept the big Vikings pack on the back foot in muddy conditions as Kelvin Casparni, James Moafanua and Whaanga himself all crossed.

Porirua playmaker Anton Wereta was replaced midway through the first half as coach Peter Rikiriki tried to turn the tide.

Wereta returned in the second half and picked off an intercept try.

Peter Manila crossed for the Vikings with 10 minutes left but Roderick Uillaau's penalty iced the Dragons' first defeat of Porirua for over a decade.

Randwick thrashed Petone 56-6 to draw level with Porirua on 15 points.

Axton Daniels ran in a hat-trick for the Kingfishers while Ruben McCormick contributed 20 points through two tries and six conversions.

Third-placed Wainuiomata got their campaign back on track with a 14-0 shutout of Upper Hutt.

After three straight losses, Wainui were desperate and inspirational back rower George Ngaroanga led the way with strong runs and big hits.

Blade Rapira, Eddie Albright and Colt Tairua dotted down as Wainui scored all their points in the first half and defended stoutly in the second.

University recorded the second upset of the weekend with a 16-10 win over defending champions Te Aroha, who are fourth with four rounds remaining.

Tevita Mafi and Micky O'Brien both scored first half tries for the Hunters, giving a 10-6 advantage at the break.

Atealofa Tuimavave's try levelled the scores but Andrew Kaulave grabbed University's match winner.

WELLINGTON OLYMPIC have slashed Wairarapa United's Central League lead to one point after Wairarapa were upset at Bell Park on Saturday.

Tobias Bertsch was the hero for mid-table Lower Hutt City, scoring twice in a 3-1 win over the Chatham Cup champions.

Lower Hutt's Hamish Watson and Wairarapa's Adam Cowan were the other goalscorers.

That result opened the door for second-placed Olympic to close the gap in the feature match of the round against third-placed Napier City Rovers at Newtown Park yesterday.

Olympic's Colm Kenny scored the only goal in a 1-0 win as Napier's Jarrod Smith missed a penalty and Fergus Neil had his follow up saved.

At Hastings' Sport Park, Petone drew level with Napier on 18 points by beating last-placed Maycenvale United 2-0.

David Lane and Paul Whitmarsh were Petone's goalscorers.

Defending champions Miramar Rangers kept their slim title hopes alive with a 4-1 defeat of Wellington United, whose season has hit turbulence.

Miramar were missing seven players but in-form striker Sam Mason-Smith bagged a brace for fifth-placed Rangers, who also have a game in hand on their rivals.

Tawa leapfrogged struggling Western Suburbs into eighth place as Scott Cameron and Mike Ramackers were both on target in a 2-0 victory at Endeavour Park.

Chatham Cup action resumes next weekend with Napier hosting Wairarapa in a repeat of last year's final at Park Island on Sunday.

Follow news about Wellington teams on Twitter @dompost_sport

The Dominion Post